Monday, March 23, 2009

Back to the Basics

Over the years, northern pike don't seem to get any smarter. I do a lot of guiding for northern pike and I find that the basics still work after all these years. My personal favourite is a 4 inch rubber storm with a top hook and a treble trailer. I prefer blue or white. Casting these around in shallow back bays has produced many pike over 20 lbs. They are also good for slow trolling at 1.5 to 2 mph.They will run about 4 ft. deep. I prefer 6 - 20 Fireline, which is very strong, but with a 6 lb. diameter. The only down side is that a person is lucky to catch 2 or three before the lure is completely destroyed. A careful shopper can usually find them for under $3.



On a given day, when the Storms aren't doing the job, I will go to a Len Thompson 5 0f Diamonds, red on yellow, or red on white. They have been working for years, and still do. I also discovered that a very large rubber Storm can work very well, even on pike as small as 5 lbs. I have a 12 in. perch colored one that has performed amazingly well. I have a collection of dozens of fancy shapes and colors that mainly are made to lure the anglers, not the fish.

Check out everything that Nipawin.com has to offer or check us out at vanityventures.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment